You may be wondering why we have cabbage in so many of our soups. Especially his chili. Who would ever think of such a thing? Well, it’s not all that unheard of when practicing a keto diet. Many of our recipes we will be posting, will at least be “keto friendly”. Beans are not included on keto, and any soup we made – especially chili – needed to still have substance to it. After scrolling through hundreds of recipes, we decided to give cabbage a try, and we love it. As momma always said “Don’t knock it til you try it”. Well, in my house I sat at the dinner table til I at least tried it. How about you?
First get all of your ingredients together. We have found this to make the overall cooking experience far more smooth sailing than scrambling around the kitchen.
He started by cooking the ground venison, onions, and celery together until the meat was browned and the vegetables were soft.
This is when you start adding the goodness. U.E. LOVES to cook in layers. You will find many of his recipes adding some seasoning in the beginning and the remainder of them toward the end. I can attest that this makes an incredible difference in the flavor of the food he makes us.
Once the meat, onion, and celery are cooked, add 2 tablespoons of the chili powder and 1 tsp of the Sonoran Spice Jalapeno Powder, also the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are soft.
Now add the cajun seasoning, pepper, garlic powder, minced onions, cabbage, and the can of diced tomatoes. Cook for approximately 20 minutes at a boil until the cabbage is soft. Add the remaining chili and jalapeno powder and the whole tomatoes.
Cook an additional 10 minutes and serve with cheese, avocado, chips or crackers of choice. Always remember the spicy heat is an adjustable ingredient. You can completely omit it if you prefer a milder chili flavor. You can add more if you prefer a hotter chili.
U.E.’s Jalapeno Venison and Cabbage Chili
- 1.5 lb ground venison
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 8 oz pk mushrooms chopped
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dried minced onions
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 heavy tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Sonoran Spice Company Jalapeno Powder
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- Start this chili by cooking the ground venison with the celery and onion until the meat is browned and the vegetables are soft. Then add 2 tbsp of chili powder and 1 tsp of the jalapeno powder, the mushrooms, and the juice of the whole tomatoes. Stir and cook until mushrooms are soft. Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the cajun seasoning, pepper, garlic powder, minced onions, cabbage, and the can of diced tomatoes. Cook for approximately 20 minutes at a boil until the cabbage is soft. Add the remaining chili and jalapeno powder and whole tomatoes. Cook an additional 10 minutes and serve with cheese, avocado, chips or crackers of choice.